Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

August 2019

19th August

Bembridge RNLI’s All-Weather Lifeboat carries out an early morning search off St Catherine's Point.

RNLB Alfred Albert Williams (Tamar All-Weather Lifeboat 16-17) was launched at 4.47am this morning at the request of UK (Solent) Coastguard to conduct a shoreline search from one mile East of St Catherine's Point to one mile West for 'anything untoward following a spoken word Mayday' that had been picked up earlier on their Boneface Down aerial on VHF Ch 16. 

The Alfred Albert Williams reached the search area at 5.15am and having conducted a sweep of the designated search area in quite lumpy conditions and found nothing of any significance she was released by UK (Solent) Coastguard at 6.00am and returned to Bembridge.   She was recovered by 6.45am. 

Ventnor Coastguard Rescue Team carried out a search of the same area from the shore with similar results.

RNLB Alfred Albert Williams' AIS track from


17th/18th August

Bembridge RNLI’s Inshore Lifeboat searches off Ryde Sands for two teenagers reported to possibly be in difficulty.

RNLB Norman Harvey (D-778 Inshore Lifeboat) was launched just before midnight at the request of UK (Solent) Coastguard to conduct a shoreline search from Puckpool Point to Ryde Pier following a report of two teenagers heard screaming in the water.  The Norman Harvey was on scene at 11.58pm and carried out a number of line searches but despite illuminating the area with a white flare spotted nothing untoward.  She was released by UK (Solent) CG at 00.51am and returned to Bembridge.  She was recovered by 1.20am. 

RNLB Alfred Albert Williams (Tamar All-Weather Lifeboat 16-17) was also initially placed on standby in case the search had had to be escalated.  Bembridge and Ventnor Coastguard teams were also both in attendance on Ryde beach.

AIS track information copied from

8th August

'Bembridge RNLI’s Inshore Lifeboat gets two people safely ashore as conditions deteriorate.'
'RNLB Norman Harvey' (D-778 Inshore Lifeboat) was launched yesterday evening (Thursday 8 August) at 10.00pm at the request of UK (Solent) Coastguard to take ashore the two crew members of a 20 foot day sailing boat from Chichester that had picked up a mooring off Seaview after being caught out by the increasing wind and sea conditions.
Although apparently they had originally planned to spend the night on board, conditions were such that one of them started feeling very sick so sensibly rather than risk using their small tender to get ashore, they asked the Coastguard for assistance.
The 'Norman Harvey' did not take long to reach the moored boat and get the crew safely ashore on the SVYC slipway. She then returned to Lane End and was recovered by 10.45pm.

7th August

Bembridge RNLI's All-Weather Lifeboat involved in the medivac of a crew member from a 22m yacht in Sandown Bay
RNLB Alfred Albert Williams (Tamar All-Weather Lifeboat 16-17) was launched this afternoon at 5.23pm at the request of UK (Solent) Coastguard to medivac a crew member who had fallen, been concussed and possibly had a neck injury onboard a 22m sailing yacht, with 18 crew onboard, 2nm east of Ventnor.
The Alfred Albert Williams reached the yacht at 5.35pm and transferred two crew members and subsquently a stretcher to the yacht. Having assessed her injuries, the casualty was then transferred to the Alfred Albert Williams'to await the arrival of the Coastguard helicopter (Rescue 175) that was already on task off the West Wight.
In the event it was subsequently decided to take the casualty back to the Offshore Boathouse to await the arrival of the helicopter. Having landed on the green opposite the Inshore Boathouse, the casualty was re-assessed by the helicopter's paramedic and it was concluded that although she had not done any damage to her neck, that she should still go to hospital to be checked over. However, she was determined that she did not want to go and it was not until almost an hour later that she finally agreed to be checked over in hospital. At about 7.45pm she eventually headed off to St Mary's in a taxi and the CG helicopter returned back to the mainland empty!
Photo of RNLB Albert Alfred Williams & CV1 by Justin Gentleman
Photo of CG helicopter by Mike Samuelson

6th August

Both Bembridge Lifeboats tasked to help search for a kayaker and a kite surfer.

Just before 'RNLB Alfred Albert Williams' (Tamar All-Weather Lifeboat 16-17) launched for training this evening at 7pm, she was tasked by UK (Solent) Coastguard to assist in the search (in conjunction with Sandown & Shanklin Independent Lifeboat) for a kite surfer reported to be in difficulty off Ventnor/Dunose Head.

At the same time, 'RNLB Norman Harvey' (Inshore Lifeboat D-778) was tasked to search for a kayaker reported as also being in difficulty off Culver/Yaverland. Having conducted a thorough search and found nothing, the 'Norman Harvey' joined in the search for the kite surfer, however when again nothing untoward was found, both boats were stood down and returned to Bembridge; both were recovered by 8.45pm.


3rd August

Quick thinking by the crew of RNLB Norman Harvey results in three members of the public participating in this year's St Helens Fort Walk being brought to safety.

RNLB Norman Harvey (Inshore Lifeboat D-778) was launched at around 5:30pm to provide a safety presence during this evening's 'St Helens Fort Walk'. Towards the end of the 'walk' with the vast majority of the estimated (by the Bembridge Coastguard Team) 4,500 people safely back on the beach, the crew of the Norman Harvey spotted a father and his two teenage sons in considerable difficulty after they unexpectedly 'fell' into a deep hole in the middle of the channel whilst they were crossing from the St Helens side to the Bembridge side.

The crew were able to reach the three casualties very quickly and were able to keep them afloat whilst they got them on board the Norman Harvey. Having checked them over, they then made their way towards the inner harbour entrance and handed the three casualties over to the Coastguard team who had in the meantime called for an ambulance so that they could be taken to St Marys Hospital to be checked over as they had all swallowed copious amounts of sea water.

The Norman Harvey then returned to Lane End and was recovered by 8.45pm.